Everything You Need To Know
Rabbits are very cute, fluffy, and adorable pets with such personality and energy that is a joy to watch. But on the other hand, it’s the most neglected pet. There are various reasons, sometimes they are often brought at the insistence of children and they get easily bored with them after few days. And they need proper care and attention otherwise they will not thrive as they should be. In this article, we have put together easy to follow guide which will help you to take care of rabbits and whether it’s good to adopt them or not.
Things You Should Know Before Buying a Rabbit
Before bringing the rabbit home, you should be aware of certain things.
- Rabbits are social animals just like humans and can’t survive without good company. It is preferred to keep them with another rabbit and introduce them at younger age otherwise they will fight.
- Don’t ever put guinea pig and rabbit together because there is a fair chance of fight between them and can cause damage to each other.
- Rabbits are intelligent species and need both mental and physical stimulation.
- To ensure the good health of rabbits, make sure they are properly vaccinated against myxomatosis and VHD.
Proper Place for Rabbits To Live
Rabbit’s living space is incredibly important and you should make sure secure surroundings before bringing them home.
- Their hutch should not be small because it causes discomfort to them. Their hutch should be large enough where they can easily stretch and relax.
- Rabbit needs protection from harsh weather conditions such as extreme cold and hot weather. You can protect them by using a tarpaulin.
- Provide them with certain things such as wood to chew and toys to play with so that they can enjoy-fully spend their time. If you have enough space put a sandbox for digging. Its favorite hobby of rabbits.
- Their bedding should be comfortable, clean, and soft where they can relax. They should be changed and cleaned daily.
- Make the place secure so that there is no fear of predators and they can live to their fullest.
Nutrition for Rabbits
Rabbits have an unusual digestive system, so you should be careful about their food.
- The most important food for your rabbits is grasses and hay.
- You can also feed them with clean and washed leafy food regularly.
- Root vegetables such as carrots should only be given occasionally.
- Keep a bowl of water inside their hutch and change the water regularly.
- Food that is high in sugar and low in minerals such as cereals should be avoided.
- Feed them properly and food should be present all the time.
- Don’t feed them grass cuttings.
Grooming Your Rabbit
- If the fur of your rabbit is long and increasing day by day, give proper cutting and brush daily to avoid matting.
- Rabbits don’t like water, avoid bathing them.
- Don’t forget to trim your rabbit nails.
Now you are aware of the needs of the rabbit. As long as they are given proper attention and handled gently, they will live long and happy.